Monday, April 14, 2008

Virgin Mary Woodcarving in progress

So I’m still working on the Virgin Mary carving for the Men of Malvern podium and it’s still going a little slow. I’m concentrating too much on one area and then finding myself having to remove more material than I was planning on. I keep on trying to shape the eyes, cheeks and mouth and then the veil sticks out too far so I have to shave that down as well, now the torso is too far out…UGH! I’m trying to achieve a look where she is looking downward so the top of her head is out further than her chin and I’m working out the proportions. The close up photo shows this a little better but once you look at the full picture you can see the chin is too wide and it doesn’t create the desired effect. I’m confident I can get it right, I think I’ll start working on the border and background and then return to the face a little refreshed. Until next time. P.S. I will soon be using a high quality camera rather than my cell phone camera.

No comments: