Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My first commision in progress

I am a proud member of the Six-Three group of the Men of Malvern. Every year on Father's Day weekend, I make a retreat at the beautiful Saint Joseph's in the Hills retreat house located in Malvern, PA. My Father-in-Law has done a lot of work for the retreat house and is now working on a new podium for Our Lady's Chapel which he will donate and has asked me to do a relief carving of the Virgin Mary for the face of the podium! The laminated panel is made of basswood and is convex. The design will consist of Our lady with a rosary surrounding her and a decorative border of roses and vines. I am hoping to have the piece done by the end of may or early june just in time for my retreat. So far I have about 20 hours into the piece because I'm trying to get as much detail in as possible. I'm having some trouble with the eye's and there are many linenfolds I am trying to perfect. I know this may seem like a huge undertaking for a beginner, but I have been drawing and painting all my life and like W.F. Judt says in his book Relief Carving:Revelations "If you can draw it, you can carve it".
If you would like more information on Men of Malvern please visit

http://www.malvernretreat.com

No comments: